Early settlers came to Clinton From New York state and named the village after their state governor, Dewitt Clinton. The site of the Clinton Inn was first settled by Alpheius Kies, who built a log house. After several changes in ownership, Alonzo Clark built the present 3-story brick hotel. It officially opened on Thanksgiving Day in 1901.
Originally the building featured fireplaces, of which four remain, a ball room over the adjacent store and a drummers room - a traveling salesman's place to display his wares - in what is now our Tavern.
The hotel' has three stories; the second floor is all guest rooms while the third is apartments. This was done in the mid 1980's, along with adding a second dining room which was once a retail store.
The hotel was purchased by us in December of 1990. It contains two dining rooms, a bar, 10 guest rooms, and four apartments.